I Need more coffee (was Plea for help: The detriment of using Microsoft products, Bombing of Dresdin, and a few other subj.'s)

Once upon a time, Kenneth E. Lussier spake thus:
:-)"David P. Greenberg" wrote:

:-)Not all of us are "guru's". I personally consider myself to be fairly
:-)unknowledgable. The greatest lesson that I have ever learned was that
:-)"The only thing that we can know with certainty is that we certainly
:-)don't know anything". If you can admit that you don't know it, then you
:-)can freely ask for help. That's what I do. I offer my tiny amount of
:-)knowledge to people that may need it, and the rest of the time I spend
:-)learning from others.
I agree whole heartedly. I am trying to free up some time to make it to some BLU
meetings, and of course will continue with the multi-tier self learning program
that I have been involved in for the past 3 years. As previously stated, my
primary goal in this undertaking is to learn all I can about Linux. I just
never realised what a major undertaking that was going to be.
:-) As to your comments about software being free on Windows and Linux,
:-)this is quite true. There is quite a bit of great software out there for
:-)the Windows platform. But, if you compare free software for Windows and
:-)Free software for Linux, you will notice one *MAJOR* difference. Free
:-)software for Linux tends to have the source code with it. So, if by
:-)chance it doesn't work, then you can potentially fix it.
Yes, um sure, uh fix it ,right. I don't think I know anybody who has the
slightest idea what to do with source code. My car came with a transmission,
but if it doesn't work, I doubt I'm gonna be pullin kick down bands and
adjusting planetary gears. ("common" user, remember?).
:-)As to your points about Linux-based apps not being free. This is also
:-)true. I certainly won't deny it. There are a lot of companies that will
:-)charge for their software. That is there right. It is, however, our
:-)right to not use it, or to find/develop something comperable and better.
:-)I'm not actually going to discuss the Corel situation, as I have very
:-)strong opinions on it, and I don't think it would benefit anyone
:-)(especially Corel) if I voiced them here ;-).
Well, it sounds like we're in complete agreement here.
--
David P. Greenberg
Bitco Electronics

**Think too much, you loose your edge.