Bombing of Dresden (was Plea for help: The detriment of using Microsoft products)

On 2000-05-17 at 15:47 -0400, Jeffry Smith wrote:

> On Wed, 17 May 2000, Mike Bilow wrote:
* * *
> > and autobuild a set of unofficial i386 CD images each morning at 0700 EDT
> >
> > 	http://debian.bilow.com/debian-cdimage
> > 	ftp://debian.bilow.com/debian-cdimage
> >
> > -- Mike
> >

> If someone's willing to burn one, I'm willing to try (come Jun, or
> maybe Mem Day, as my schedule's filled the next couple of weeks). I
> have a 28.8 line at home (thanks BA).  No, I don't have the option of
> cable or DSL.  BTW: My main Deb interest would be on my alpha machines
> at home, although I would also look at it for my dual PPro.
> As Paul pointed out, slink is badly out of date, and my line won't
> support the upgrade necessary.

I can't personally help you on Alpha.  We don't use it, so we don't
maintain any CD images for it.  You can get Alpha CD test images from:

	http://ftp.fsn.hu/ftp/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial/
	ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial/
	rsync://ftp.fsn.hu/ftp/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial/

He rebuilds once each week on Sunday, and he includes the non-US pieces,
while we rebuild daily and (obviously) do not include the non-US pieces.

I think you will need to make a custom kernel for SMP support, although I
am not actually certain of this.  Debian has a nice "kernel-package"
method that mostly automates the process of building a custom kernel and
produces a ready-to-install .deb file for the kernel image and modules.
COLOSSUS.BILOW.COM is an SMP machine, but it uses a custom kernel.

The Hungarian site does have an rsync server, so it would be technically
possible for me to obtain his CD images and burn a set for you.  This
would have to be done when we had the time, and I have no idea how long it
would take for us to get 1.2 GB from Hungary.  We could try it, though.
If your access to the 'net is only 28.8, you would need all four CDs.

-- Mike

-