Star Office 5.2 [was Re: Plea for help]

Do you know if Applix's RTF is less bloated (ok, significanly less
bloated) than MS's?  Also, I've noticed that MS Word, Applix, SO, &
Wordperfect all manage to interpret RTF differently.  A LaTeX
(Lyx/KLyx/GtkLyx [see sourceforge]) system would be better, but MS
Office doesn't do that, & too many people use MS Office.

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Paul Lussier wrote:

> In a message dated: Tue, 16 May 2000 13:27:35 EDT
> Jeffry Smith said:
>
> >I've found Applix 5.0 to be excellent at reading Word documents.  My
> >only problem is that it doesn't save them as doc format (exports via
> >rtf).  Their help also seems to be better than StarOffice.
>
> YOU SHOULDN'T BE SAVING TO DOC FORMAT, IT"S PROPRIETARY!!!!!!!
>
> Export to RTF, though it's still a proprietary format, MS will read it
> correctly, as will just about everything else.
>
> (If you must, you can export to Word 2.0 doc format, and every version of Word
> since then will be able to import it.)

Jeffry Smith      Technical Sales Consultant     Mission Critical Linux
smith at missioncriticallinux.com phone:978.446.9166,x271 fax:978.446.9470