Modem Detection

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Ralph Disch wrote:

> Greetings.  Last week I installed RedHat 6.2 on my computer.  I am
> operating Linux in the KDE environment and the system looks and behaves
> well.  But, I cannot find help in the Red Hat manuals nor in KDE Help
> which will solve the problem of Linux not detecting the modem.  During
> boot, the screen pauses briefly to advise it is searching for new
> hardware, but it always fails to find the modem.  The modem, a Hayes
> Accura ISA V.90 model plug and play operates successfully while I'm in
> Windows.  But, Linux doesn't "see" it in either re-installation from the
> CDROM or from just a boot.  Do you have any suggestions which a novice
> of my standing might use to convince Linux that there is indeed a modem
> attached (internally) to the computer?  I would be most grateful for
> suggestions.  Thank you,  Regards, macdisch at mindspring.com (Back Bay)

Most internal modems tend to be "winmodems; to make them cheaper, the
manufacturer implemented the guts of the modem in software as a Windows
driver. My experience has been that pretty much all internal modems are
winmodems, and won't work with any operating system except Windows. There
are a few internal modems that actually are complete modems, but I
wouldn't know if the one you have is one of them.

I've cc'ed this to our mailing list; perhaps someone there is familiar
with that modem.

Email: jabr at blu.org / URL: http://www.blu.org
ICQ#28611923 / AIM abreauj