More PPPoE info

With PPPoE, you PPP into your ISPs POP in the CO, which gives you an
IP Address of your ISP.  With DHCP, you get an IP Address of the
subnet you are on, which means all customers on the Ethernet segment
need to virtually share a subnet.  I suppose you could create multiple
virtual LANs on the Ethernet, one per ISP, but then the (single) DHCP
server would need to know, by MAC address, which ISP you belonged to.
This means if you change ethernet cards, you would have to contact
your ISP (who would have to contact Bell Atlantic) to get your
information changed in the DHCP server.  If you change your card with
PPPoE, who cares -- authentication is done at the PPP application
level.

-derek

-