journalling FS (ReiserFS)

Hi,
	I installed ReiserFs (3.5.16) and ext2 on a 80Gb raid systems (compaq
proliant 3000).
The RFS was exported under NFS; the ext2 was the /

It worked for almost a week and afterward it crashed miserably!
The data were unreadable.... (2 weaks of work pretty much lost... don't
ask about the backup :( )
I thought the problem was RFS, so we walked away from it.

I'm still having problem with that machine and I think it is the raid
firmware that is currupted in some way... so still now I do not know if
RFS was to blame, anyway I don't think I'll reinstall RFS anytime soon.

My opinion? In Italy we say, after you have been burned by the hot
water, even the cold one scares you...

Cheers

Max

Randall Hofland wrote:

> Please forgive my ignorance, but I was under the impression that you had to
> run EITHER ext2 OR ReiserFS, not both on the same install. Is it actually
> possible to run ReiserFS on particular partitiions and ext2 or the coming ext3
> on others?

> > > Anyone know what version? 3.5.18 is supposed to be stable. I just checked
> > > the ReiserFS homepage, and it is commericially supported.
> >
> > According to the SuSE web site, 6.4 includes package reiserfs-3.5.18-3,
> > which is the utilities for the file system. The file system itself is
> > part of the kernel package; I don't know whether it is built it or loads
> > as a module. (If it's a module, you can't use it on the root file system;
> > that would have to be ext2.)
> >
> > --
> > Mark J. Dulcey               mark at buttery.org
> > Visit my house's home page:  http://www.buttery.org/
> > Visit my home page:          http://www.buttery.org/markpoly/
> >
> > -
>
> -

  Massimo Morin                                _...__..-'
mmorin at schedsys.com                          .'
 (617) 484 2999 h                          .'
 (617) 512 0203 c                        .'   Airline
                                       .'    Solutions
            .------._                 ;        Today
      `   `;'-.-'         '-    ._     Scheduling Systems Inc.
        .--'``  '._      - '   .       Three University Office Park
         `""'-.    `---'    ,          95 Sawyer Road
 ''--..__      `\                      Waltham, 02453 Massachusetts USA
         ``''---'`\      .'            +1 (781) 893-0390 x 126
                   `'. '               http://www.schedsys.com
Software Engineer    `'.
-