email text wrap

Internet email messages should contain only 7 bit ASCII text with line
lenghts no longer than 80 characters. You might want to check RFC822
for the more correct wording. Some email programs do not have the
capability to set the margins. Most do and should be set to some
number around 76 to allow for quoting the replies. Some email programs
have the capability to wrap incoming lines that are longer. I use exmh on
Linux and Unix, and on one version a few years ago, it would forget to
wrap outgoing text.
Today, email programs are sophisticated word processors that can
present you with a nice window for composing email. They will then
reformat the outgoing text to match your word wrap specification, then
they receive email, and may reformat it. Whenever I send program source
code by email, I always send it as an attachment to suppress word
wrapping. The email binary encoders (uuencode, base64, etc) take
binary input, encode them into 7 bit ASCII with line lengths under 80
columns. The reasons for 7 bit ASCII is historical and that email is a
store-and-forward protocol, and may end up on an EBCDIC (or other code
set) machine. The 7 bit ASCII can easily be converted to EBCDIC. If you
send a JPEG to some guy on an IBM mainframe, that person should be
able to decode and view the jpeg as well as the email.

On 3 May 2000, at 15:20, Ron Peterson wrote:

> Why does text in email sometimes not automatically wrap?  Does it have
> to do with the reciever's or the sender's email client?  I happen to be
> using Netscape in Linux, although I seem to recall this happening on
> other clients as well.
>
> I usually just throw these messages away because it's too annoying to be
> scrolling horizontally to read something.  I'm just afraid I might miss
> an important message from Ed McMahon.
>
> -Ron-
> -

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>