ntpdate: Operation not permitted

On 2000-04-28 at 14:14 -0400, David Kramer wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Mike Bilow wrote:
>
> > You may need the "-u" switch when invoking the "ntpdate" program.
> >
> > -- Mike
>

> Thanks.  That did it.  The -u flag was not mentioned in the ntpdate --help
> output, and no man pages were installed with it, but I just found the html
> documentatsion, which I will study closer.
>
> Would there be a way to set up ipchains to allow it through without the -u
> flag?  I guess it's not that important if it's working; I jsut have thins
> thing about implementing clean fixes, and understanding them.

No man pages come with the NTP tools.  Some distributions add these, but
they are not official.  Debian, for example, has a formal policy that all
executables must have a man page, so Debian provides a man page that
refers you to the HTML documentation which is put in /usr/share/doc/ntp.

I am not sure if the problem was ipchains or something else.  The main
reason you want the "-u" switch is because only root is allowed access to
the ports below 1024.  What the "-u" switch actually does is tell
"ntpdate" to originate its connection from some high-numbered regular user
port instead of the default NTP server port, 123.  So any run of
"ntpdate" without root privilege should need the "-u" switch.

On the other hand, only root can set the clock.  So, if "ntpdate"
completes successfully and tries to set the clock, this should error out
if it is not being run as root.  You would at least get an error message.

It is certainly possible that you managed to block your own outbound ports
using an ipchains rule.  I can't think of any obvious way to do this, off
the top of my head, but it is easy to get yourself into situations with
ipchains where things occur unexpectedly.

-- Mike

-