[MLUG] Re: Security: Libsafe

Quoting Robert L Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu>:

> Well, then the program will continue on with garbage
> data (of a different kind).  Is that really desirable?
[snip!]

> One obvious use for this is for the system
> administrator to put it in /etc/ld.so.preload as part
> of an overall hardening procedure.  Having it be
> defeatable gets around the whole purpose of doing
> that.

Well, you're right.  I would like to put it
in /etc/ld.so.preload for general use.  The thought of
network services without the possibility of buffer
overruns really appeals to me.

*However*, the though occurs to me that some script
kiddie can be scanning the net around the clock.  What
happens if I get hit at 12:20 in the morning?  I might
have just gone to bed, and my services die because of
this buffer overrun.  This means that I have to
remember to check that my services are available *every
morning*, and before I go to work, due to my firewall
that won't let connections out either.  I can't always
do that.

So, what if I miss it for a few mornings in a row?
What if I'm on a vacation and unable to check these
services?  Just taking mail, things start to bounce.
All of our lists start detesting us because we've
returned a bum email address.  You get the idea.

SO, the behaviour that I'd rather have would be to
silently truncate the string operation to the limits of
legal memory, in this case.  This is based off the
assumption that the buffer overruns that we're likely
to encounter these days are not through common use, but
rather through malicious intent.  With that assumption,
I would rather have the service stay in operation and
simply deny the malicious intent.

Mind you, I'd be all for killing everything that is
automatically respawned.  Things like ftpd or getty
would be fine.  However, the fear of losing my services
like SMTP and HTTP brings me to avoid installing this
library.  (which is too bad, because I *love* the
idea!)  If I could control which behaviour happens to
which programs, I'd leave the default to kill and make
a couple of exceptions for my "must-be-up" services.

Just my two bits,
--Mark Donnelly

-