Linuxppc2000 on Mac G4

Hi,

Have been trying to install LinuxPPC 2K (from the distribution CD) on a
friend's Mac G4. Does anyone have any experience with this system? Looked
on the Linuxppc site but did not find much really helpful. Not quite as
"friendly" an install proc as the x86 RH6.2! <G> I finally got to be able
to install on an Intel box with minimal problems but this is the first PPC
install I have dealt with. I also convinced my friend that linux would help
him a lot. He is a molecular biology researcher from S. America and would
like to use a number of X-windows apps for that subject on his G4. So my
credibility is involved! ;-) hehehe

Seems to go through the graphical install OK but then crashes when you try
to boot linux, kernel panics etc. At first I missed the box to tell the
system where root was but even after I fixed that it still crashes upon boot.

I can pass on more info if anyone wants/is able to help. Maybe off line
would be better with a summary passed after? Whatever would be fine with me.

OH, I did have one message during the install. I failed to install the RPM
		linuxconf-1.16r10-2a.ppc.rpm
because it failed to find the shared object file libgd.so.1. Why should it
be looking for this during the install? Isn't an "so" library used during
running an app?

TIA for any help

Regards

Henry