ftp 'server'

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Nick Oleksinski wrote:

> Hi:
> I'm trying to telnet into my linux box (IBM ThinkPad 570) but I keep
> getting the following message:
>
> l2a1532 tcsh[333]$ ftp wmpc75
> Connected to wmpc75.
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
>
> Is this a case where I've got a switch thrown somewhere that 'shuts off'
> ftp into the box or do I need to install some sort of ftp daemon to
> allow it?
> If it's a switch, how do I turn it off?  If I need a new rpm installed
> (I'm running RedHat 6.1) does anyone have a recommendation for what
> packages to install?

Well, for starters, it looks like you're trying to FTP into your box, not
telnet to it. And you probably don't have an FTP server installed. The
most common one to install on Red Hat is wu-ftpd; that's the RPM to look
for. If you want anonymous (as opposed to username and password) FTP to
work, you also need to install anonftp.

If you have the RPM installed, the other thing to do is to check your
/etc/inetd.conf file. Make sure that the line that looks something like
this:

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -a

isn't commented out. Lines with a pound sign in the first column are
comments.

By the way, there's a similar line in the inetd.conf file for telnet; if
it's commented out, you won't be able to make a telnet connection to your
system.

Mark J. Dulcey               mark at buttery.org
Visit my house's home page:  http://www.buttery.org/
Visit my home page:          http://www.buttery.org/markpoly/