Refresh rates and the dangers of playing...

You might need to search for your monitor specs online. Both Red Hat's
xconfigurator and SuSE's SAX have monitor databases.
Try looking at this document as a starting place.
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO.html
Also if you send me your monitor make and model number, I can check it out
with SuSE's SAX.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group