unix development tools

> I was wondering if anyone at BLU could make some recommendations for Unix
> development tools - compiler, linker, debugger, integrated text editor, etc.
> GSI is using __very__ old versions gcc and gdb, and needs to upgrade for
> better productivity. Are there are consultants at BLU would could make
> recommendations, or be available to do onsite analysis of the situation?

Just to chime in with the rest - my IDE is xemacs, make, and gdb.  The
graphical front end 'ddd' for gdb is nice - but seem to be able to get around
more quickly with gdb's command line interface.

I do find that adding some "hot keys" to xemacs is extremely useful, e.g.,
stick

;;; "Hot Key" mappings
;;;
(global-set-key [kp-enter] 'find-file-other-window)
(global-set-key [f1] 'next-error)
(global-set-key [f2] 'replace-string)
(global-set-key [f3] 'replace-regexp)
(global-set-key [f4] 'query-replace-regexp)
(global-set-key [f5] 'what-line)
(global-set-key [f6] 'shell)
(global-set-key [f9] 'compile)
(global-set-key [kp-decimal] 'goto-line)
(global-set-key [insert] 'set-mark-command)
(global-set-key [home] 'beginning-of-buffer)
(global-set-key [end] 'end-of-buffer)

in your .emacs file.

But I don't believe that there's been significant improvement in development
tools for a long, long time.   The "IDE's" for MS-Win platforms don't strike
me as really having much more to offer than a good text editor and "make" do.

The one item I don't know about is a class browser/navigator.  I end up
spending
a lot of time trying to figure out what goes with what when using C++...

Good luck!

-