Laptop Linux Question

Yesterday, Richard R. Malloy gleaned this insight:

>     A week ago I installed RedHat 6.2 on my laptop (an AMS Tech AMD
> K6) .The only trouble I've had is with getting the 3Com 574B card to
> work.  The log says that the card is recognized and but I get an error
> with insmod ds.o. I have 2 questions :

>                 i) what is ds.o (it seems to load the 3c574_cs.o module)

Not sure.

>                ii) If I want to build a version for my laptop on my
> PII system, where do I configure the pcmcia card stuff?
>                     I didn't see anything in the xconfig setup that
> configured pcmcia cards and stuff! What am I missing?

The PCMCIA stuff is technically NOT part of the kernel source, though it
will be soon.  Redhat distributes it with their kernel RPMS anyway.  The
good news is there's nothing to configure, it just builds all the modules.

If you updated your kernel sources, you probably didn't get the PCMCIA
stuff unless you got the latest kernel RPMS from RedHat.  Check the PCMCIA
howto to find out where to get the sources for the latest PCMCIA stuff and
how to build it.

If you want to build it on another machine, you'll need to copy the
resulting kernel image, the System.map, and all of the modules that you
build to the laptop.

The Linux Howto Index lists ALL of the Linux howtos, including the PCMCIA
howto (but excepting the original SCSI howto which appears to have
vannished into hyperspace), and can be found here:

  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX-3.html

[Incidentally, if anyone has a copy of the original SCSI howto, I'd like
to get it from you.  I've forgotten why now, but I want to read it. I'm
NOT talking about the SCSI programming howto.]

--
PGP/GPG Public key at http://cerberus.ne.mediaone.net/~derek/pubkey.txt
Derek D. Martin      |  Unix/Linux Geek
derekm at mediaone.net  |  derek at cerberus.ne.mediaone.net