Red Hat Distribution of Emacs

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Kevin M. Gleason wrote:

> Does anyone know the size of the entire Emacs program in RPM format?
> With tex-mode and spell checker... Will it fit on a 1.44M disk?

You must be joking. Try a Zip disk or a CD-R.

I checked the Red Hat 6.2 distribution (courtesy of ftp.rge.com;
ftp.redhat.com, as usual, was full) to see how big its Emacs RPM files
are. The main one (emacs-20.5-7.i386.rpm) is 6850K (just short of 7
megabytes). In addition, you need either emacs-X11-20.5-7.i386.rpm (1016K)
or emacs-nox-20.5-7.i386.rpm (917K). emacs-el-20.5-7.i386.rpm (5647K) is
also nice to have.

tex-mode comes as part of the main emacs package, so at least you don't
have anything extra to fit in there. Of course, if you actually need TeX
itself, you're talking really serious space. And then you'll probably need
ghostscript, too...

As for the spell checker, Emacs uses ispell. So you'd be looking at
installing ispell-3.1.20-25.i386.rpm (2105K) and
ispell-dicts-3.1.20-25.i386.rpm (7327K). If you want to add any of the
optional non-English dictionaries, that's even more space.

File sizes for other distributions might vary slightly, depending on what
they decided to include. But none of them are going to fit on a floppy. If
you really need something that small, you should look at one of the
smaller Emacs-like editors, such as jed or jove. But those things aren't
as powerful as emacs.

Mark J. Dulcey               mark at buttery.org
Visit my house's home page:  http://www.buttery.org/
Visit my home page:          http://www.buttery.org/markpoly/