Problems running Red Hat Linux 6.1 and 6.2

Hello All:

I am computer science student at Tufts University and I have been running
Red Hat Linux 6.0 on a HP Pavilion machine -dual boot with Windows 98 using
LILO.  Recently, I obtained a copy of Red Hat Linux 6.1 and 6.2.  I tried
upgrading my RH 6.0 system to 6.1.  After finish upgrading my system, I
tried booting up Linux and in the boot process, I get the following
messages:

"Unable to handle kernal paging request at virtual address ffffd000

current->tss.cr3=00101000, %cr3=00101000
*pde=00284067
*pte=00000000
Oops: 0002
CPU: 0

<blah...blah...blah>

Process swapper........<blah...blah...blah>
Stack 80000000.......<blah...blah...blah>...07c33f50

Call trace........<blah...blah...blah>
Code........<blah...blah...blah>
Kernal panic: Attenpted to kill idle task
In swapper task -not syncing"

I tried reinstalling a new Red Hat Linux 6.1 system, installing a Red Hat
6.2 system and I still got the same problem when trying to boot up Linux.  I
reinstalled Red Hat Linux 6.0 and it worked fine for some reason.  How come
I can't use Red Hat 6.1 - 6.2?  Is there something wrong with my hard drive
or memory?  Any information would be grealt appreciated.  Thanks!

With Regards,
Ming