Xircom CardBus PCMCIA Network Adapter

Yesterday, chuck noyes gleaned this insight:

>  Has anyone else had problems with the CardBus Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56
> adapter and promiscuous mode?  I've been trying to run TCPDUMP with my Dell
> laptop, which has this network card, and I can't figure out how to get into
> promiscuous mode.   According to the tcpdump man page, tcpdump -p will not put
> the adapter into promiscuous mode, but I need to see ALL the packets on the
> wire.

Note that if you are in a switched environment (which is becoming
increasingly likely as switching technology continues to drop in price and
more shops switch to switches), you won't see all the packets anyway. In
that case, it's likely that the best you will be able to do is to mirror
the port of the device you are most interested in to another port on the
switch, and plug into that port.

--
PGP/GPG Public key at http://cerberus.ne.mediaone.net/~derek/pubkey.txt
Derek D. Martin      |  Unix/Linux Geek