Help installing RH Linux 6.1 on laptop...

Today, Jerry Feldman gleaned this insight:

> I'm thinking that the problem is with the graphical installer. I know that
> Red Hat 6.1 should default to the character cell if the graphical installer
> fails. Have you checked the laptop howtos to make sure that laptop will
> run Linux. One qucik suggestion is to try the boot disk from another
> distribution just to see if it boots successfully. Al  you would need is the
> diskette images. I discovered that the 2.2.13 kernels have problems with
> the vesa frame buffer code. There may be a way that you can force the
> Red Hat installer to boot in text mode.

This is certainly possible, I've seen something like this before.  To
force the install to use text mode, simply type "text" at the LILO boot
prompt.

I'd also suggest that you pop over to the third and fourth virtual
consoles by pressing ctrl-alt-F3/F4  (the ctrl key is only needed while
your current virtual terminal is running X -- once you are at a text VT
screen, you can use more simply alt-F? to switch between consoles).

These alternate VTs generally contain status and error information about
the proceeding install.  They may (or may not) be helpful.

--
PGP/GPG Public key at http://cerberus.ne.mediaone.net/~derek/pubkey.txt
Derek D. Martin      |  Unix/Linux Geek
derekm at mediaone.net  |  derek at cerberus.ne.mediaone.net