Fetchmail thru ssh tunnel?

First, you can avoid sending your password in the clear by the simple
expedient of authentication with APOP.  An APOP-capable server will append
timestamped unique text to its initial message within corner brackets:

+OK POP3 v7.59 server ready <53a4.38d36f22 at colossus.bilow.com>

The APOP-capable client uses this unique text in combination with its
shared secret (the real password) and generates a cryptographic hash based
upon these two elements.  The server, knowing both, can tell whether the
hash is correct and therefore indicates possession of the appropriate
secret.  The point, of course, is that the shared secret is not passed.

Second, if you want to encrypt the whole mail session through an ssh
tunnel, that's not hard to do.  The real trick is to set up a private key
with no passphrase, so that you will not be prompted for it upon login.
Then run ssh automatically to alias a local port:

ssh -f -i .ssh/popconly -l username -L 1110:pop.host.com:110 pop.host.com 'sleep 60' &
sleep 20
fetchmail

The way this works is by starting the ssh client and giving it about 20
seconds to log in.  Once it is logged in, port 1110 on your local machine
will be aliases through the encrypted tunnel to port 110 on the real POP
server host.  You then point fetchmail at port 1110 on localhost.  If the
POP session takes longer than the arbitrary 60 seconds of sleeping, then
ssh will wait for the session to close.

-- Mike

-