Annoying Spam Problem

We have had this happen with two different domains of ours.  It is a
difficult problem, since what is coming in to you are the bounces
resulting from the undeliverable spam.  It is very, very hard to filter
these since they are really legitimate messages (since the spam did
bounce) and they are being sent to you by the victims, not the spammer.

There is no technical way to stop the spammer sending out mail claiming to
be you.  They just pick some real domain to defeat anti-spam measures that
would disallow mail from fake domains, and it happened to be yours.  When
they send their mail, they are just putting your address into the sender
envelope during the SMTP exchange.  Other than the fact that it is your
domain they are misappropriating, these messages do not go through your
machine in any way.  If the messages are successfully delivered, you never
seen the messages at all.

Only when the spammer has attempted to send to an invalid mailbox or to
someone who has good anti-spam filtering at the SMTP level are you going
to get a bounce.  Most likely, the real spammer is exploiting open relay
machines all over the world, and it is there machines which are flooding
you with bounces.  Depending upon the scale of the operation, you might
get thousands of messages from hundreds of different relays.

The most effective defense at this point is to identify some common
characteristic in the mail and define a filter based upon that.  For
example, as of Sendmail v8.9, you can define a ruleset that will process
message headers during the DATA phase.  We commonly do this to block any
message which has some clearly spam-like header associated with it, such
as "To: friend at public.com" or "Subject: Accept All Major Credit Cards."
Another possibility would be a common characteristic in the "Message-ID"
line.  There is no magic bullet here, but rather you will have to craft
something which is closely related to your particular offending messages.

-- Mike