Video Cards et. al.

> Matrox will give you better 2d, and also excellent 3d, and
> the 3d drivers are mainstream open source.  Research Daryll
> Strauss at Precision Insight for more info on the open
> source 3d drivers.  His current priorities seem to be Voodoo
> first, then Matrox.  I may see him tomorrow, and I would be
> willing to proxy your questions to him.

I'm wondering if there's anything in particular about the Matrox 2d that
makes it exceptional.  I've been running a Voodoo3 3000 for a while, and
have been quite impressed with both the 2d (1024x768x32bpp desktop on my
15" monitor) and some very sweet 3d.  All reports from XFree 4.0 testers
claim that the speed is much improved since upgrading, as well.  I'm not
trying to put you on the spot for specs or anything, just wondering if
there was a notable design I hadn't heard of.

Brian J. Conway
dogbert at clue4all.net
Geek for hire: http://clue4all.net/resume

If the attorney general is going to liken the net to the wild west, then
I get to be Artemus.
		-- Cabal
-