Check out Boston.com today. Article about the BLU

> One thing I note is that she compares the  difficulty  of  installing
> linux with the ease of using Windows that is pre-installed.  She says
> nothing at all about installing Windows, and it's unlikely  that  she
> has  ever tried it.  Maybe we should all send her email pointing this
> out.  A comparison of the ease of installing both  systems  would  be
> interesting  and  meaningful,  as  would  a comparison of the ease of
> using various  pre-installed  versions  of  both.   But  comparing  a
> pre-installed  Windows with a do-it-yourself linux is a typical thing
> done by marketing people.  It's really propaganda, not comparison.

This is very true, and I've seen the argument made many times in
discussions along this line.  One thing that is important to note,
though, is that this is a position that most consumers find themselves
in when wanting to try Linux for the first time.  I would hardly suggest
that installing Linux should be as easy as using pre-installed Windows,
but if Linux installations aren't at the level of ease that a Windows
installation is at (generally speaking, and when it works, that is),
then that is a major obstacle for many people that are interested in
trying out Linux.  I'm not disagreeing by any means, but thought that
such a point should be made.

Brian J. Conway
dogbert at clue4all.net
Geek for hire: http://clue4all.net/resume

If the attorney general is going to liken the net to the wild west, then
I get to be Artemus.
		-- Cabal
-