New Modem?

First,
Motorola is one of the premier modem companies. They have been making
modems for at least 25 years. Your problem could be either with the driver
in your PC or with the modem's firmware on the card. In both cases, contact
Motorola for an upgrade. US Robotics (eg. 3Com) also makes a decent modem.
Unfortunately, Microcom (where I worked on one contract) was sold to Compaq
which flushed the division. Rockwell makes chips for most of the cheaper
modems. Be careful of WinModems. These are cheap modems that require
software in Windows9x to work. Not only do these modems not work on any
other operating system, but they slow down your PC when they are working.
most people would not know this because they only do 1 thing at a time, but
your PC is capable of running several programs at the same time. Here is a
modem FAQ. It is a Linux modem FAQ, but it contains some good information
about modems in general. Bottom line, stick with your Motorola for the time
being.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html

--

-