Unusual CD-ROM problem from the Installfest

Thanks for all the help I've received.  I appreciate the time
and effort.

All said and done, I found a post on DejaNews that referred to a
RedHat errata, which described the way to get the CD-ROM to be
recognized by the kernel.  I then installed RH6.0 on the
machine, and the CD-ROM now mounts OK.

I didn't have time to get the CD-ROM recognized under SuSe -
sorry, Jerry - but the user is now able to use her CD-ROM with
Linux.

Bill Horne

On Sunday, March 12, 2000 9:00 PM, Derek Martin
[SMTP:derek at cerberus.ne.mediaone.net] wrote:
> Today, Bill Horne gleaned this insight:
>
> > It has a generic sound card, with a Sony CDU33A-01 CD-ROM
> > plugged into the card.  This is a proprietary interface;
> > Win95
> > shows it as such, and it's usable with Win95.
>
> So it will have a device name which is associated with that
> proprietary
> interface.  I'm not familiar with those devices so I can't
tell
> you what
> it might be.  I suggest reading the kernel configuration help
> files for
> the non-scsi, non-atapi CD drives (i.e. from the 'make
> xconfig' command).
> That may give you some insight.
>
> > dmesg says:
> >
> > ISP16: configuration cdrom interface, version 0.6
> > ISP16: cdrom interface (with OPTi 82C928 chip) detected.
> > ISP16: cdrom interface set up with io base 0x340, irq 0, dma
> > 0,
> > type Sanyo
> >
> > I've tried specifying port and IQ at the LILO prompt,
without

> > any change:  every mount command gives a message saying the
> > kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device.
>
> O.k. The kernel is recognizing the drive, so it isn't a
> question of
> supplying correct kernel options.  The driver appears to be
> loaded.
> Also, /dev/cdrom is just a symlink, probably to nothing useful
> if the
> install didn't recognize your CD drive (most likely /dev/hdc
or
> /dev/hdd).
> You need to figure out what the correct device file is for
this
> CD.  CDs
> that are connected this way are typically SB or Mitsumi
drives,