Linux/Unix Acronyms...Answered by self!!!

Ah, getting to know Emacs.

There are some excellent resources for getting to know what's up with
this emacs thing:

     As was mentioned, you can fire up GNU Info on most Linux boxes
      and read yourself mad.

     To customize behavior, most 20.x Emacsen come configured with
      an option customizer under the help menu.  Happy Navigating!

     If you have RedHat there's a FAQ in /usr/doc/emacs<version>.
     There's a pile of stuff in /usr/share/emacs/<version>/etc
      that's at least entertaining.  Your distro maker may have dropped
      it into someplace else.

     The FSF GNU Emacs Manual:
      ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/Manuals/emacs/index.html
     The FSF GNU Emacs Lisp Intro
      ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/Manuals/emacs-lisp-intro/index.html
     The FSF GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual
      ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/Manuals/elisp/index.html
     ORA has "Learning GNU Emacs" (gnu-book) and "Writing GNU Emacs
      Extensions" (giraffe-book), both very well done.  The giraffe
      book concludes with the development of "crossword-puzzle-mode".

The last five are available in hard copy from the nice folks at
Softpro.

I was a vi (and ed) user for 10 years.  I didn't even consider emacs
until my first brush with Borland Turbo C.  The last 4 years I haven't
even launched vi willingly.  If I need an editor that's always there I
can always use ed.

ccb

--
Charles C. Bennett, Jr.			VA LiNUX Systems
Systems Engineer, Northeast US		25 Burlington Mall Rd., Suite 300

		You can't legislate Mathematics.
-