window dumps

Today, Glenn Burkhardt gleened this insight:

> I have methods that work fine with 8 bit color (xwd | xpr, and xwpick), but
> xpr and xwpick only work with 8 bit color.
>
> Any other utilities I've missed?  Thanks.

xv and ee both have the ability to capture windows in any bit depth.  You
can then convert them to whatever file type you like, and print them from
the app's print command.

ee has replaced xv on many newer distibutions, since xv has a more
restrictive license than ee (which is GPL, whereas xv is not).  However,
the version of ee that shipped with most distributions is very buggy.  If
you intend to use it for anything substantial, I suggest you go to
www.gnome.org and get the latest RPM, which fixes most of the more
obtrusive bugs.

--
PGP/GPG Public key at http://cerberus.ne.mediaone.net/~derek/pubkey.txt