The future of linux

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Niall Kavanagh wrote:

> I can't help it! ;) Most of my development experience has been Win32, and

Poor Bastard!

> lately for the web (backend on Win32/SiteServer/SQLServer/ASP and
> Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) which is mostly Win32 clients. Unlike a lot of folks
> I don't think Windows is a bad operating system -- unfortunately it's not
> open source and it's controlled by a corporation I certainly don't admire.

Bah... you've been brainwashed... Listening to too closely to your
managers :)

> efficient, customized machines. If you've done tech support you know that
> the bulk of your calls are not hardware (i.e.. my mouse doesn't work) but

You know I have...  Fortunately (for the moment) at my current job, when
they call up with a software problem, I get to say "sorry, I don't support
that. Have a nice day."  :)

> Does Redhat automagically detect what printer you have and configure the
> filters accordingly? It's been awhile since I've printed from my linux boxen
> ;)

No, you have to pick what you have from a list, but it does automagically
figure out which output type is being printed and use the correct filter.
Works nice, 'specially if you've got an HP printer.  Can't do duplexing
that I've been able to see, though.

> Personally I think all the important bases are covered though I may not
> agree with the technologies and implementations (I hate CORBA. Hate SOM/DOM
> for that matter too. OpenDOC sucked also.) If I had the free time I'd jump

So, do you like any object management protocol Niall?  :)

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"    "Who watches the watchmen?"
-Juvenal, Satires, VI, 347

Derek D. Martin      |  Senior UNIX Systems/Network Administrator
Arris Interactive    |  A Nortel Company
derekm at mediaone.net  |  dmartin at ne.arris-i.com