Epson Stylus 860

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, you wrote:

[snip]
> a redhat system.  You can look at the output to the `dmesg' command, or if
running dmesg returns (among other things):
lp: driver loaded but no devices found.

> Nothing at all, or nothing about lp?  If the latter, then you definitely
> don't have support in your kernel.  So don't bother with the stuff
> above...
The latter.

> > I tried just doing an insmod for the paraport_pc.o, paraport_probe.o, and lp.o
> > in /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc but that didn't seem to help...
>
> I would have thought that would work, or specifically
>
>   insmod lp
>
> but if that didn't do it, I'd suggest recompiling your kernel.  Did you
> get error messages when you tried it?  If you did an lsmod after, did it

When I first tried to insmod lp I got a few errors regarding unresolved symbols
with paraport, so I insmoded paraport_pc (which loaded
paraport_probe) and then I ismoded lp and got no errors this time.

> show up?  Do you see any lp mentioned in /proc/devices after trying that?

Still nothing :(

> If you don't see anything, try compiling the support directly into the
> kernel.

Oh well, maybe next weekend. I guess I'll hook the printer up to my
windows box for now, because I need to use it today.

				-fjr
 --
Frank J. Ramsay
fjr at marsdome.penguinpowered.com