Epson Stylus 860

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Frank J. Ramsay wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> > 	Does anyone have experience getting printers to work under Linux?  I
> [SNIP]
> > Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> I don't think the stock kernel has support for printing built in.  Check
> your boot messages to see if you see any messages about lpX, and if you
/var/logs/messsages says "marsdome lpd: lpd loaded successfully" and the
date/time stamp is correct for the last boot.

> don't, run lsmod to see if the lp module is loaded.  Finally, you can
> check /proc/devices to see if it mentions lp, if you have the proc
> filesystem (you probably do).

Nope, nothing in /proc/devices

> If you don't see it there, you don't have lp support.  Make sure you
> include it in your kernel config (under character devices) and if you have
> it compiled as a module, make sure it gets loaded somehow at boot time.

I tried just doing an insmod for the paraport_pc.o, paraport_probe.o, and lp.o
in /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc but that didn't seem to help...

			-fjr

--
Frank J. Ramsay
fjr at marsdome.penguinpowered.com