Proposed Linux server

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Henry Smith wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am cobbling together a home network and I want to use Linux as the
> Gateway/Firewall etc and as the mail server for the users on the network.
>
> I scrounged an old Gateway P5-60 with a 700 MB disk and 8MB Ram.
[SNIP]
> Questions I have is whether there is enough RAM and/or disk to do what I

I had a P-75 configured similarly doing the same job.  Had more RAM, but
I'd say it's workable.  My load average rarely popped up above .05, except
maybe when playing multiple sessions of quake through it (over cable
modem). Even then i'm not sure if it did, since I was too busy fragging
llamas to notice... :D

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"    "Who watches the watchmen?"
-Juvenal, Satires, VI, 347

Derek D. Martin      |  Senior UNIX Systems/Network Administrator
Arris Interactive    |  A Nortel Company
derekm at mediaone.net  |  dmartin at ne.arris-i.com