Proposed Linux server

At 12:50 PM 1/24/00 -0500, Kyle R. Rose wrote:

Thanks Kyle for your detailed suggestions. That will be very helpful.
You're right I do have a lot of stuff on the disk which I don't really
need. This was my first successful install of Linux and I was just looking
at all sorts of things. Clearly for this purpose, I don't need X and I do
indeed have TeX installed. I also installed emacs-nox which I will
definitely keep as an editor - never really liked vi - please no flames! <VBG>

>OTOH, more RAM is always better.  While you _can_ run a firewall on
>8MB -- I did it for a while -- when I upped the RAM to 72MB, things
>ran a lot smoother when the machine was trying to do several things at
>once.  72 MB might be overkill, but I have SIMMs increments of 4 and
>32. =)  I think 32MB would be fine for such a machine.
>
>My firewall configuration (in front of an RCN cable modem) is a
>Gateway P5-60 (freaky, huh?) with 72 MB of RAM and 120 MB of disk
>space.  It runs Debian 2.3 ("woody") and has only the following
>packages:

Freaky indeed! Looks like I will try for more ram, then following your
suggestion. What kind of chips should I look for? I got no documentation
with this box and am not too sure what it needs. If you know offhand what I
should get, I would be glad to hear it, else I will open it up and make my
best guess! <G>

>adduser apt base-files base-passwd bash bind bind-doc bsdutils cpp
>cracklib-runtime cracklib2 cron debconf debianutils dhcp dhcp-client
>diff dnsutils dpkg dpkg-multicd e2fsprogs elvis-tiny fdflush fdutils
>file fileutils findutils gconv-modules gettext gettext-base grep groff
>gs-aladdin gs-pdfencrypt gsfonts gzip hostname iplogger ldso less
>libc6 libdb2 libgdbmg1 libglib1.2 libgmp2 libgtk1.2 liblockfile1
>libncurses4 libncurses5 libnewt0 libpam-cracklib libpam-modules
>libpam-runtime libpam0g libpaperg libpcap0 libpng2 libpopt0
>libreadlineg2 libssl09 libstdc++2.10 libstdc++2.9 libstdc++2.9-glibc2
>libwrap0 lilo locales lockfile-progs login lprng lynx m4 magicfilter
>mailx make makedev man-db mawk mbr modconf modutils mount mtr
>ncurses-base ncurses-bin netbase ntp ntpdate nvi passwd perl-5.004
>perl-5.004-base perl-5.005 perl-5.005-base perl-base ppp procmail
>procps psmisc samba samba-common samba-doc sed sendmail setserial
>shellutils slang1 ssh svgalibg1 sysklogd syslinux sysvinit tar tcpd
>tcpdump telnet textutils timezones traceroute update util-linux
>whiptail wmnet xbase-clients xfree86-common xlib6g zlib1g zsh

>It's pretty minimal.

Thanks for the remainder of your comments which I snip here. For the
education of a relative newbie (me!) do you need the seemingly X-Win
componets I put the ^^^^'s under above? or did they just get left in
somehow? <G>

Thanks

Henry
-