ipchains logs and nmap audit

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, Subba Rao wrote:

> I have several ipchain rules. One of them is:
>
> ipchains -A input -i ppp0 -p TCP --destination-port 21 -l -j DENY
>
> Why are these ipchains not doing any logging?  I do have the -l option

The most likely answer is that the packet you are watching is matching
another rule earlier in the chain.  The rules are checked in the order
they are appended, and stop once a match is found...

I'll bet if you put this at the beginning of the chain, you'll see it get
logged. Order IS important!

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"    "Who watches the watchmen?"
-Juvenal, Satires, VI, 347

Derek D. Martin      |  Senior UNIX Systems/Network Administrator
Arris Interactive    |  A Nortel Company
derekm at mediaone.net  |  dmartin at ne.arris-i.com