OpenSSH

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Subba Rao wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded OpenSSH and am trying to get it to work. The sshd is
> started in .xinitrc. After logging in, the 'ps' command does list it:
>
> (0)root at myhost:~ => ps waux | grep ssh root 18615 0.0 0.8 1424 536 ?
> S Jan19 0:01 sshd -f /usr/local/etc/sshd_config -h
> /usr/local/etc/ssh_host_key
>
> After that, I am issuing the ssh-agent command. I have tried 2 options.
>
> $ ssh-agent bash
> $ ssh-agent login

when xterm is killed, it sends its children a SIGHUP.  If you don't want
them to die, start it with nohup, i.e.:

nohup ssh-agent bash.

> When I try to login from NT, using TeraTermPro+TTSSH or Putty, the
> system says invalid password. I have tried the user's Linux password
> and the SSH key passphrase. The system log has the following entry.

It looks like it's looking for the root password, so I assume you're
trying to connect as root, and you are giving it the root password.  If
that's not working, I'd check the sshd_config to see if you are allowing
password authentication.  I'm far from an expert at ssh though, so I don't
know what else it could be.

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"    "Who watches the watchmen?"
-Juvenal, Satires, VI, 347

Derek D. Martin      |  Senior UNIX Systems/Network Administrator
Arris Interactive    |  A Nortel Company
derekm at mediaone.net  |  dmartin at ne.arris-i.com