OT: C,C++

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Mike Katz wrote:
>I would like to learn a variation of C... but I dont know were to
>begin.

The canonical book to learn C from is Kernigan & Ritchie.
It's nicely written, but maybe not fluffy enough for some people.
A book I found to be nice is "C Programming: A Modern Approach"
http://knking.com/books/c/
After that, any book by W. Richard Stevens, in particular
"Advanced Unix Programming in the Unix Environment". Don't be put
off by the "advanced" part.

>Is learning C or C++ to big a step up the programing lader?  Is C
>right for me? ( Im interested in developing cross platform (NT/Linux
>Xwindows) database frontend )  is there a linux equivalent of Visual
>C++?

Knowing C can't hurt. However, despite what people might say, I found
programming in C and C++ to be very different. The equivalent of
VC++ is Emacs. :)

>Basicaly any input would be great!  My buisness has a schedualing
>system desighned for Home care.  It is based on paradox.  It
>curently does not use odbc for the clients (they actualy map network
>drives and use bde configs to acces the data!  I would like to get
>away from paradox/wintell setup.... Is C the right language, would
>java work/be better?

I dislike Java, but maybe I just never gave it a chance.
If you're planning to do any web-related stuff, even database
things, Perl might be something to look into (actually, I hardly
ever use C anymore but use Perl instead (except, recently I am
mastering Elisp, too ;) ).

-