upgrading KDE and TNT2

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Glenn Burkhardt wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > I recently upgraded X, and i decided to up grade KDE as well. I used the RPMs
> > made specificly for Red Hat 6.x. I have 6.0. My problem is that, when i execute
> > applications i get the error:
> > error in loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.2: undefined symbol:
> >

> The executable and the shared library are not compatible.  I'm surprised, since
> the whole idea behind 'rpm' is to check for compatibility between packages.
> This is particularly complicated with X applications, since there are so many
> libraries involved.  I'll usually statically link my applications if they're
> to be used elsewhere.
>
> I suggest that you get a complete installation CD for RedHat 6.x, and have it
> go through its upgrade procedure.  That way you'll get the kitchen sink, too.
>
> -

Well one good thing out the RPMs is that they check for dependencies, but one
bad thing about RPMs is that they only check for dependencies that are in the
RPM database. I installed all the KDE RPMs with the switch --nodeps because all
the KDE RPMs were complaining about broken dependencies with the X libraries.
The libraries were there, but according to the RPM database they weren't
installed because i didn't install X using RPMs.

I guess I'll have to settle with going through the office RedHat upgrade

Thanks,
-Brad

-