setting up samba...from the word GO

In SuSE, the startup scripts are in /sbin/init.d/smb for both smbd and nmbd.
You would then have symlinks in the rc.2,3,4,5, to start samba. In Red Hat,
the rc scripts are under /etc/rc.d
So, assuming you have a startup script in /etc/rc.d/init.d, you can set up
an automatic startup by manually setting the links:
cd /etc/rc.d/rc5.d # this is for init run level 5 (GUI mode on Red Hat)
ln -s ../init.d/smb S50
This will establish the symbolic link to start the smbd and nmbd daemons
when you enter run level 5. The name of the link must begin with S, and it
will be executed in lexical order. You also would need some K links. You
probably want the K in run levels 0,1,S and 6.

The proper way to start, stop and restart the daemons by hand is:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

This is the proper way to start, stop and restart most of the standard
daemons, like sendmail, apache, etc.
I am not familiar with Red Hat's system management tools, so I don't know if
they have a graphical interface to these commands.

Jerry Feldman
Contractor, eInfrastructure Partner Engineering
508-467-4315 http://www.testdrive.compaq.com/linux/

Compaq Computer Corp.
200 Forest Street MRO1-3/F1
Marlboro, Ma. 01752