Linux Proxy NIC interfacing woes

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Wass wrote:

> Derek Martin hath scribed:
> No, the 3c905 _should_ be 100baseT.  It says this on the card, and also
> in the bootup messages.  I was hoping it would be smart enough to only
> use 10baseT if connecting to a slower receiver (ie, the cable modem in
> this case).  Of course, nothing can be certain...

Yeah I buy that... I think mine is a 3c509 (Vortex) not a 3c905.  Funny
how they reversed the numbers, eh?  I think they like to keep us
guessing...

> Ok, before re-running lilo, I saw lo, eth0, and eth1 listed when I did
> ifconfig -a.  lsmod showed the 3c509 driver, for some strange reason.
> After running lilo, I only see lo for ifconfig -a, so this is a first
> step.  However, if I try 'insmod 3c90x', I still get the error:
> "3c90x.o: init_module: Device or resource busy".  lsmod does not show
> any net drivers included.  Are there any other reasons the device could
> be busy?

Not that I can think of... did you do a

  make modules
  make modules_install

after you compiled the kernel?  Are you certain that you told the config
program to compile the support as a module?  you can check by rerunning

  make config      #OR
  make xconfig     # If you configure while in X windows, OR
  make menuconfig  #whichever one you prefer, or whichever is appropriate

Just look at the setting, it should be "M" for module, if you set it
properly.  I appologize in advance if I'm telling you things you already
know.

> Okay, thanks again for all the help!

NP.  Enjoy!

--
Derek D. Martin
Senior UNIX Systems/Network Administrator
derek.martin at ne.arris-i.com

-