Linux Proxy NIC interfacing woes

On Sun, 26 Dec 1999, Wass wrote:

> >modem.  The cable company takes the MAC address of the card you set it up
> >with and only provides DHCP to THAT CARD.  Therefore if you want to make a
[SNIP]
> Do you know if this is true for all cable companies?  My provider is RCN,
> and I remember reading somethinb awhile back about cycling power to the
> cable box, to reset the networkgfor the new MAC address.

No, I can't say for certain... I know mediaone does it that way.  You may
want to call your CC and ask, and at least then, if it doesn't work that
way, you can tell them your new MAC while you have them on the phone.

> plan to have the box I've called the 'proxy' configured with two NIC's,
> one connected to the cable modem, and the other connected to my 8-port
> hub.  Then, of course, I'll connect the other computers to the hub.  Is
> this mostly right?  I'm new to this networking thing.

Sounds about right.  But don't forget that until you have the IPCHAINS
piece ready, your other machines won't be able to see anything on the
internet at all...

> Yes, I'm planning on only getting a DHCP address for the cable-modem NIC,
> and use static IP's (the ones guaranteed not to be denoted to valid
> IP's) for the other computers.

Good.  There's no need to complicate your set-up with DCHP if you don't
have to.  And you don't need it.

> No, it should be fairly modern, it's a 3com 3c905 Boomerang (or so says
> my dmesg bootup messages).

I think that should be fine then. I've got one of those too but I think
it's a 10Mb/s card only...  or maybe it was a 3c509, I don't
remember now.

> Well, I recompiled the kernel first, and set 3c905 support to be compiled
> into the kernel, but I wanted to see how modprobe would react, so I
> recompiled the kernel with 3c905 for the module option.  Is there a way
> to check to ensure that the 3c905 was not automatically included into the ker
> the check that the 3c905 module isn't compiled into the kernel, and is
> in fact set for dynamic module insertion?

Sounds like maybe you didn't move the new kernel into place.  If you see
messages about the card at boot time, you have support for it built in to
the kernel, AFAIK.  The other way to check is do ifconfig -a and lsmod,
and if it shows up in the output of the ifconfig command but not in the
output of the lsmod command, then you have support built into the kernel.

At any rate, sounds like you're headed in the right direction.  Good luck!

--
Derek D. Martin
Senior UNIX Systems/Network Administrator
derek.martin at ne.arris-i.com

-