Multiple ethernets on one cable modem

Now I'm really confused. ;)

MediaOne SAYS they require your MAC address before things get up and
running.

If this is the case, and according to the information we've tossed around so
far, new devices with invalid MACs will not have their packets forwarded by
the modem?

If this is the case, how does a new machine sometimes "steal" an IP address?
(ie. I have one valid machine, and plus a new one in, which receives an IP
address intended for the original machine). If the modem was indeed
filtering based on device MAC the request wouldn't even make it that far.
Unless they're only filter IP traffic?

I know they require the MAC of the modem before anything will work. When a
tech does the install, s/he uses his own modem to get things up and running
with his laptop, then s/he uses his modem with your NIC to make sure that
works. At some point he uses his modem to add the S/n and MAC of your new
modem to a database, at which point he switches the modems and tests
everything with your final configuration.

Perhaps they have a rule on the DHCP server : "The cable modem with a MAC
address of X is allowed to request up to Y IP addresses". ?

I've always thought the modems were somewhat analogous to "smart hubs". Does
anyone know of any technical descriptions of M1X's setup? Or the modems
(Derek? You watching? <g>)

BTW, thanks to all this discussion I had a nightmare last night I was back
on a dial-up in a town with no high speed access. <shudder> I think I woke
up screaming...

Niall
-