Multiple ethernets on one cable modem

At least for Mediaone this is always the case, they snatch your MAC
address and use it in their DHCP server but you can get around this.  If
you decide you want to change ethernet cards when you get the new card
configured in your machine you can just tamper with the rc.d scripts that
bring up the ethernet card so that issues
/sbin/ifconfig  eth0 hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
where the xx:xx ... is the mac address that you want to transmit with.

note: Thanks to Sheldon Durowin for that tip about the mac address

Tim.