Where is rlz.ne.mediaone.net?

Kris wrote:

> Bingo -I work for m1, so I guess I would know sort of..  Send e-mails to
> hostname at mediaone.net and it will auto reply with directions to fix it. As
> for the "no server policy" this is something I never heard be acted apon,
> hell I have been running many domains and servers for 2+ years(shhhh ;).
I have been an M1X subscriber for 3 years. Before I subscribed, I spoke to
Will Biedron, who was Director of Broadband Services for Continental
Cablevision (which became Mediaone). In the Boston ISIG meeting Will
discussed home networks and their policy. At the time I was using thin-wire
ethernet, which I prefer over 10baseT for small networks (no hubs). Anyhow,
when I ordered the service I told then that I had a NIC which was a
thin-wire NIC. They did not know what I was talking about. Since the Cable
Modem had an AUI connector, it needed a tranceiver for either thin wire or
10baseT. I called Will and he told me exactly what to tell them. They still
got it wrong, so I signed up for a new NIC. When the installer came, he saw
that I had thin-wire, and asked me why I ordered the NIC.I continued on with
a single NIC and thin-wire for about a year and a half before I bought a
second NIC. My primary system at that time was 2 Intel Win95s (wife and me),
and an Alpha UDB running Linux. I experimented with several network schemes,
including Wingate.

The proxy servers like Wingate had some gaping security holes. One M1X
subscriber had his M1X service shut off because outsiders were able to use
his system to do stuff with IRC. Some IRC networks then k-lined Mediaone.
That person was reinstated back to M1X after he fixed the security hole. I
have not been on the M1X newsgroups for a while, but since they started
their newsgroups, they have had a lan technical group.

There are several issues when dealing with Mediaone (or other ISPs). Most of
their support people are trained to resolve problems with Windows9x,
WindowsNT and Macs. So when calling in a support problem, many of the
support people are unable to answer questions regarding Linux. (I even had
one support guy call in a service call because my tranceiver only had 1
light. He asked me if the 3 lights were on and I told him I only had a
single LED. He had no clue what thin-wire ethernet was). In general, I like
my M1X service. I have never experienced a degradation that I could blame on
M1X. While there have been failures, they are few and far between.

--
Jerry Feldman (HP On-Site Consultant) http://gbrweb.msd.ray.com/~gzf/