Need some assistance...

starting gdm should put you to the "gnome" login screen.  I don't know all
the history, but I do know that gdm is the replacement for xdm.  I don't
remember all the connections that get xdm/gdm to start (which scripts and
such) but in any case I think gdm is what you want.  gdm on redhat should be
located in the X11 directory structure somewhere (I'm not at my linux box so
i can't check)

so the short answer is...

gdm

Hope that gets you what you want...is there some way to take a screenshot of
one virtual console from a different one?  That could be an option instead
of editing inittab.

-Tim Hobbs