The middle Mouse Button in Linux...

Is there a function for the middle mouse button in Linux (specifically
Red Hat Linux 6.1) or generically, any Linux.

I've pondered this question for some time and know that in a two button
mouse scenario, pressing both emulates the third but to what end? The
reference books tell us how to use this function but not when. I have
not opened all of the applications on my desktop (yet--there are so many
of them) but was hoping for a shortcut to an application on the standard
desktop that would give a chance to try out this skill.

Thanks.

Kevin