Printcap question

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Anthony J. Gabrielson wrote:

> 	At work I need to set up a Linux box to print to an HP Laserjet
> 4050TN.  The HP has an IP so I need to create a printcap file that prints
> to an IP instead of a port.  I have only used the wizards of SuSE and
> Redhat to set up printcaps, so yo ucould say I am very ignorant when it
> comes to manually setting it up.

   I've got my RH6.1 box printing to an HP 4000 series with an entry like
this:
hs:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hs:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=###.###.###.###:\
        :rp=:

(the ###'s in the rm section are the IP of the printer)
   That's the way printtool set it up.  Most network based printers will
accept an LPR connection, or can be told to with some sort of config
program.  Our Tek color printers are pretty much the same, except that the
last field is ":rp=AUTO:".

Matthew J. Brodeur, mbrodeur at NextTime.com
Hostmaster, Webmaster for NextTime.com, NextTime.org
http://www.NextTime.com

-