X configuration for IBM PC

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999 Blackgryphon at aol.com wrote:

> I have an IBM PC with an S3 video chipset on the motherboard. Unfortunately,
> Xconfigurator for Red Hat 6.0 doesn't seem to see the video RAM and therefore
> can't generate a valid X configuration file. I'm desperate here. Does anyone
> know how what I need to get this to work?

Most S3 chips are well supported, but which one do you have?  If it is one
of the newer ones, it may be that there is no driver available for it yet.

You may be able to find out what kind of chip this is using SuperProbe,
which I believe probes the PCI hardware.  So it may not work if you have
AGP.

That will at least give you a place to start.  If this doesn't identify
the chip, I believe S3 has a utility you can download from their site to
identify the chip.

--
Derek D. Martin
Senior UNIX Systems/Network Administrator
derek.martin at ne.arris-i.com

-