Linux on a Lap top

I'm running Linux on a ThinkPad 600E and it runs nicely.

--Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: John Abreau [mailto:jabr at blu.org]
Sent: Friday, October 22, 1999 4:15 PM
To: Vincent Cocco
Cc: discuss at Blu.Org
Subject: Re: Linux on a Lap top

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Vincent Cocco wrote:

> I was curious to know how many readers on this list run Linux on a laptop
> on a regular basis.
> >From what I understand, the list of Linux device drivers for laptops is a
> little more limited than for desktop systems.  I know Linux has come
> a long way in the past few years and I would think that by this time
> that loading Linux on a laptop would be no more difficult
> than loading it on a desktop system.
> My motivation for getting a laptop is to have a dual boot system
> running Linux and Winblows.  Are certain Linux releases more "laptop
> friendly" than others?  Has anybody experienced loading Linux on a
> WinBook?

I've been running it on a couple laptops for a few years now. There used
to be issues with the NeoMagic video chipset, but that's been resolved for
a while now.

At the Atlanta Linux Showcase, it appeared that the Sony Vaio laptops were
extremely popular; it seemed that almost everyone with a laptop was
running one of these with Linux.

I'm running Redhat 6.0 on a Sony Vaio Picturebook C1X, which is almost
small enough to be a palmtop; the screen is 1024x480. Most of the
folks I saw at the show had the larger Vaio 505, which has a full-size
14-inch display.

There's a Linux On Laptops page at

    http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

which includes a list of links for installing Linux on a wide variety of
laptop models. The page for the Vaio C1X is at
    http://www.solluna.org/~bookwyrm/pcg-c1x.html
and the page for the Vaio 505 is at
    http://home.att.net/~blair.kelly/computers/vaio.html

Also, Linux Laptops at http://linuxlaptops.com sells laptops with Linux
preinstalled; I believe VA Linux does the same.

Email: jabr at blu.org / URL: http://www.blu.org
ICQ#28611923 / AIM abreauj