Linux on a Lap top

At 03:02 PM 10/22/99 -0400, Vincent Cocco wrote:
>...  Has anybody experienced loading Linux on a
>WinBook?

To answer your question, I've tried to load Linux onto a WinBook (it's a
WinBook XP, with, IIRC, 8Mb RAM and a 100Mhz 80486 CPU). Linux boots from
the floppy (Red Hat, Debian, and Slackware) but there is no CD ROM drive
and I've never been able to get to the network to install from the PCMCIA
network cards (Intel and one or two others) I've got. There is activity on
the cards, but something keeps sticking.

My guess is that running a GUI would be painfully slow on that system, but
I'd be happy to have a command line interface with a few text-based
applications on that system.

This was one of the systems I brought to the last install-fest, where we
didn't even get that far (it was getting late and I couldn't stay much longer).

Any suggestions are welcome. One of these rainy days I'll drag it out and
try again.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's at least one site about installing Linux on a
Winbook, if you do a web search on Linux+winbook you should get some hits.

regards,
-pl

| Pete Loshin                    http://Internet-Standard.com |
| _IPv6 Clearly Explained_ Morgan Kaufmann January 1999       |
| _TCP/IP Clearly Explained_ 3rd ed Morgan Kaufmann June 1999 |