Netscape problems (fwd)

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, John Chambers,,,781-647-1813 wrote:

> The actual reason I'd like to use it is that I normally like  to  use
> rather  small fonts, so I can see several things on the screen at the
> same time.  People are always complaining  about  the  fact  that  my
> screen  is unreadable because of my small fonts.  But this means that
> if a document comes with <font size=-4>, my already-small  fonts  are
> reduced  to a 3x2 font, which is unreadable on any screen.  So I have
> to go into the Preferences, change the font size to  something  huge,

Well, if I recall correctly, that feature only applies to relative font
sizes.  The reason for this is that Netscape wants to be able to render
the page more or less the way the author intended it, whatever your fonts
are... Send your web developer a note thanking him/her for making their
web page absolutely illegible to the Unix community, and/or those with
High-res displays, by not taking the time to see what their pages look
like on non-windows machines.  I have had this complaint about several
websites myself.

Every book or document about writing good HTML that I have read has said
NOT to do this kind of thing... yet everybody does it anyway.

Oh well, just deal with it I guess.