Netscape problems (fwd)

"John Chambers,,,781-647-1813" wrote:
> This is something I've done routinely, but so far  I've  never  found
> any  version  of  Netscape  on any machine that honors it.  I've also
> found that setting the font size to 18 or 24 points  doesn't  usually
> affect those tiny fonts at all; it only seems to affect text in which
> the page doesn't set the font size.  But if the page  sets  the  font
> size,  then  Netscape  always  honors the page's font size, no matter
> what I do with my settings.

Well, try my tried and true settings and see what happens.  Use
http://www.slashdot.org as a reference.  With these settings, Slashdot
should look pretty reasonable (not too big, not too small).  I have my
17" monitor set to 1152x864 at 24bit color, so adjust accordingly.

Here are my Netscape "Fonts" settings:

Edit-->Preferences-->Appearance-->Fonts

Fonts and Encodings:

For the Encoding: [Western (iso-8859-1)]
Variable Width Font: Times (Adobe)
Size: 18
Allow Scaling: [not checked]

Fixed Width Font: [Courier (Adobe)]
Size: 18
Allow Scaling: [not checked]

Sometimes a document will provide its own fonts
< > . . .
< > . . .
<x> Use document-specified fonts, including dynamic fonts

As for the Messenger problem you're having, try starting it some
different ways and see what happens.  You can have it set to start on
Netscape's start-up by setting that preference in the "Appearance"
preferences.  You can try it with Alt+2 when Netscape is started.  But
this crashing shouldn't happen anyway.  Maybe try the latest version of
Netscape (4.7).

_______________________________________
There's a file in ~/.netscape called "preferences.js".  That's where all
your settings get saved.  You could look around through that and
hand-hack it if you really don't think Netscape is saving your
preferences.

--
Scott Stirling
West Newton, MA