SuSE distribution

Glenn Burkhardt wrote:

> Just a couple of questions, to see if I'm missing anything:
>
> 1.  My impression is that the SuSE distribution doesn't probe for hardware as
> much as RedHat does, specifically, for Ethernet and graphics cards.  Am I
> right?
>
> 2.  The system configuration tools in Yast seem primitive and incomplete, again
> compared to RedHat.  Have I missed some tool, or do I get a copy of Linuxconf,
> and
> start configuring?
While I have not installed RH 6.0+, I found that the SuSE distribution to be
more complete than Red Hat. The SuSE distribution follows some commercial
versions of Unix by using an rc.config file. Our experience at the May
installfest was that Sax was able to tell us more than Red Hat's
xf86configurator. I much prefer the SuSE installation tool over the older
Red Hat tool. One real advantage of Red Hat is that many additional software
products are set up to install and run on Red Hat using binary RPMs where
some of these may not run on SuSE although SuSE does use RPM. I think I will
grab a copy of RH6.1 for the Alpha and a copy of SuSE 6.2 for Intel and see
how they compare myself.
--
Jerry Feldman (HP On-Site Consultant) http://gbrweb.msd.ray.com/~gzf/